Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stories

Two weeks ago, while driving back from our mini-vacation in Ocean City, MD, I (out of nowhere, I might add) just decided that I was a horrible blogger. I hadn't posted in over a week, and my previous post hadn't garnered much attention. Forget about the fact that I had only recently become a blogger;
or the fact that I'm a first-time mom who's still adjusting.

As far as I was concerned, those details were irrelevant. And this was the thought that began one very long thought that listed all of things that I felt inadequate about in my life, past and present time.

Then I realized I was doing "it" again. I was stuck in a story, playing and replaying a sadly familiar tape in my mind. A tape that detailed all of the ways I felt I didn't measure up, based on judgments and nonsensical standards set by society or even by friends or family. I forget the exact statistic, but I believe that something like 90% of our thoughts are the exact same thoughts every day. So when we get stuck in these stories we are essentially beating ourselves up, over and over, day after day, just like a bully.

Sometimes we don't even realize we're in a story. Because of the frequency with which we "hear" them, we often don't even recognize they're going on again. They just manifest in our bodies as tightness, discomfort and dis-ease.

Furthermore, the stories don't always appear to be negative. Sometimes, we even think they're positive - almost like affirmations.

"I am so much skinnier than she is."
"I lost the baby weight a lot faster than my sister."
"I drive a much nicer car than that guy."
"My yoga practice is so much stronger than his."

The thing is that even these types of thoughts have a negative effect on us. You have no idea who you're really comparing yourself to - the woman you're skinnier than may have struggled with an eating disorder and is healthier when she's eating more; your sister may be suffering from postpartum depression and might have a hard time just taking a shower every day, let alone losing the weight she gained pregnant; the guy with the not-as-nice-as-yours car might be saving for his children's college education; and the guy who's yoga practice isn't so strong may be recovering from an injury. The bottom line is, at the end of the day, if we spend our lives comparing ourselves to everyone else, we'll never measure up, because we'll subconsciously set our standards based on our own outward perceptions of those around us.

Learning to quiet the mind, and therefore quiet down these stories (or sometimes even shut them up, when we're lucky) is one of the greatest gifts of a regular asana* practice. This isn't to say that as soon as you start a regular practice you'll never hear them again, or that new stories will never sneak up on you...however, through a regular asana* practice we learn how to acknowledge them and then release them to the Universe. The freedom you find when suddenly your bully isn't bullying you anymore cannot truly be understood until it is felt. Sometimes it's as simple as sitting in stillness (meditation) and making the decision to turn them off; oftentimes we need to be wrung out, physically exhausted from a rigorous asana practice, and reminded over and over again. Either way, it's not easy...but in the end, a life of freedom from this negative energy is well worth the investment.

As for my tapes, ultimately, I reminded myself that I am a new mom, and that I am dedicated to my son. A few days after we got home, I also took an amazing 2 hour class that focused on opening the hips, one of the favorite spots for our bodies to harness dis-ease. So, if my blog suffers a lack of my attention at times, I can live with that. In 20 years I'm not going to look back on this time and wish that I had blogged more.

I will, however, be grateful that I knew enough to spend an extra 20 minutes snuggling with my son.



*Asana is a reference to the physical postures in a yoga practice.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME post Hal! (Sorry I'm just now catching up.) It's always important to try to maintain some perspective on the stories we tell ourselves. A great message for Elul. Love ya lady - you're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete