Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I Think My Heart Just Broke A Little

Every now and then I think we all need a reminder that life is too short to spend it dwelling on things that really, in the end, aren't so important. Your life will not be better "when..." spend your life living, want what you have, and LOVE whenever you can.

I have a dear friend whom I've known since college. Twice we were roommates in Israel. I was friends with her husband and kinda sorta helped introduce them. I was at her wedding. I love this lady. She's also a rabbi, and a mom to 3 gorgeous little ones. She keeps two fabulous blogs, here and here. Really, you should read her blogs.

Anyway, she recently began posting on Sundays, a SuperIma (Ima is Hebrew for Mom) check-in for us Moms to connect. So I checked her blog late Sunday and, within her post, she shared a link for this lady over here. I don't follow too many blogs. Seriously, I can barely keep up with my own, but something told me to click this time. The woman had been pregnant with twin girls and ended up having an emergency c-section and lost one of the babies. I was sad for her, and thought of her sporadically over the last two days. Out of curiosity, I checked back tonight and found that she has posted the whole story. OH. MY. GOSH.

You should read it. And maybe leave her some love, but at least send her some love through your thoughts. Her entire little family needs it.

I was just saying to my husband tonight that every now and then during the day I wish our little guy, Ari, would just nap a little bit longer so that I could get a yoga practice in, or finish the dishes, or clean the bathroom, or _________(fill in the blank) but then when I put him to bed at night, when I'm sitting on the couch, I often stare at the video monitor (yes, I still use the video monitor for my 9 month old because I'm obsessed with being able to see my baby whenever I want to and know that he's in his bed where I put him) and my heart just swells with love so powerful that I can't even describe it. I listen to him breathe, watch the curve of his little body sometimes rolling around to get comfortable, and I am so overwhelmed by this love that sometimes I think my heart skips a beat or two.

In twenty years (or maybe even in 10) I'm not gonna care if I practiced yoga for 45 minutes or for 90 minutes on a particular day, or if I "forgot" to clean the kitchen floor one week, or if the laundry piles up and I have to stay up a little later to get it done, but I know my life will be better if I got to laugh/snuggle/tickle/love my son a little bit extra here and there. I know I've said something similar in a previous post, but I think we all need reminders. We're still human, even if we are SuperImas, and it can be very easy to get caught up in the day-to-day and forget what really matters.

So, my friends, start your new year by saying a prayer to whoever it is you pray to and thank them for your beautiful life (it is beautiful, after all), kiss your babies/husbands/wives/partners/pets/loves, and send a little virtual love on over to Jen. She and her family could really use all the love they can get right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment